Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Babies are Worth The Cost

Our youngest son continues to grow. It is hard to believe that he is over 2 months old already. The chubby round cheeks and bright eyes are a picture of health. That picture began to blur a bit the other night as he became fussy for no apparent reason, the bright cheeks flushed, and my wife informed me that he had a fever.
-
Having a sick baby is one way to make a father feel helpless. The baby cannot talk and tell you what is wrong, and daddy doesn’t know what to do to make it all better. Because daddies like to fix things, I went online to try to find information about young babies and fevers. I quickly discovered that if the fever is over 100.4 and the baby is less than 3 months old, you should call the doctor immediately. Crystal retook his temp and found out is was at 100.9.
-
We called the hospital and they suggested we bring him in. Now it was a Sunday, so the clinic was not open. That meant an emergency room visit, and I know that they are way more expensive than the clinic visits, but when it is your little baby, the cost doesn’t matter. We are under a medical plan, so the cost won’t be that high, but even if it were, a life is more important than money.
-
Fortunately the doctor found nothing seriously wrong and now Heath seems to be doing well again. This small trial reminded me how insignificant possessions are compared to a human life. It saddens me how many lives have been stopped before they were even born just so that the parents would not have to give up possessions or time to raise them. Few would even imagine doing the same thing to a growing baby after it has been born.
-
Perhaps that explains why once seeing an ultrasound, a mother is less likely to end a pregnancy. I recall how exciting it was to visit the doctor and get our first little black and white pictures of our babies showing their tiny heads, hands, and feet months before they were even born. No wonder Psalm 139:13-14 says, “For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”
-
Even at 9 weeks, the head and feet can be distinguished as the little life is being molded and formed by God.
-
So is that baby really a life, or a clump of tissue before he or she is born? Consider what God said about Jeremiah. “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5) This shows us that God knew Jeremiah and set him apart before he was even born.
-
Another baby, John the Baptist, is also spoken of before his birth. “For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.” (Luke 1:44) Notice the scripture calls him a baby before he is even born.
-
Yes babies are precious, and it is worth the cost to see them live.

No comments: