Friday, September 10, 2010

Girls are Prettier Than Boys

Our little boys have an assortment of bathtub toys, ranging from a boat, to bowls, to rubber duckies. The duckies actually came in a set, with the momma and her babies. My 2 ½ year old son brought a baby ducky and the momma ducky into my office and was showing them to me. He quickly understood which one was the baby because it was smaller. I had often told him that his own mother was pretty, so I pointed out the big long eyelashes that were painted on the momma ducky and said, “look, Jared, this is a momma because it is pretty.”
-
He then picked up the baby ducky and pointed to it’s long eyelashes and said, “baby mommy ducky.” It looks like our little boy is starting to understand the differences between boys and girls.
-
This reminds me of the little 5-6 year old girl I talked with. She had been on a field trip and was all excited to tell me about it. I told her that it sounded fun and that I would have liked to have gone. She informed me that I was too old. I responded by saying that I wished that I was her age for just a little while, then I could go on the field trips and we could play on the swings. She looked at me with total indignation and said, “I wouldn’t play with you.” I asked why not. She looked at me as if I were the most ignorant person in the world and said, “because you’re a boy!”
-
Yes, boys and girls are different. “But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.” (Mark 10:6) Though we can have the same relationship to Christ (see Gal 3:28) we are obviously different.
-
Some would like to minimize those differences and suggest that there is no distinction at all between the genders. This goes against nature itself. For example, I did not have the strain nor the pleasure that comes with being able to carry our children in a womb. I will never know or understand exactly what it is like to be a woman, nor will my wife understand what it is like to be a man.
-
The differences between men and women go far beyond the physical. It has been said that women tend to be more emotional than men. I fear that tension between men and women has resulted because too often those differences are not understood. It has become politically incorrect to even discuss them.
-
Consider how men tend to want to talk about a problem until a solution is found and women just want to know that the man cares. I have learned that instead of trying to find a solution to every concern my wife voices, I sometimes need to simply listen for a minute, be quiet, and give her a hug.
-
Now if I thought she was just like me, I would never do that. You see once we realize we are different and that those differences are not bad- just different- we are better able to relate to each other.
-
I fear the high divorce rate can partly be attributed to the lie that men and women are the same. If more couples went into the marriage aware of the differences and loved each other because of those differences, they would be better equipped to relate to one another. Yes, God created us male and female, and though different, those differences make us complementary to one another.

No comments: