Friday, December 16, 2011

The Truth About Christmas

A few weeks ago our little boys looked out the front window and saw the beautiful Christmas lights in and on our neighbor’s house across the street. One of them got all excited and said, “they have Christmas!”
-
Not long after that we went to the open house at our local bank and the boys got free coloring books. One of them saw a picture of Rudolf the red nosed reindeer, and since he is young enough that he doesn’t know all his animals well, he asked if it was a horsey. When I told him it was a deer, his older brother asked, “we shoot him?”
-
Now before you start to think that we have been training our children to kill Rudolf, understand that we come from a family of deer hunters. Although I have not hunted for a few years, my brother did this year and my boys heard me talking to him about it. Furthermore, when they pretend that their sticks are guns, we often tell them to shoot deer instead of people. Thus our boys are much more familiar with the pursuit of the whitetail than they are with the legend of Santa and his reindeer.
-
We do not emphasize Santa much in our home. For our boys, he is the man at the bank open house who gave them their candy canes. The same boy who wanted to shoot Rudolf saw a figurine of Santa and said, “he give me candy.”
-
I want our boys to view Santa for who he really is- a local man who dresses up in a funny outfit with a fake beard because he likes kids. I do not want them to think that he really lives up at the north pole or actually has a sleigh that flies through the air. I want them to know that the gifts they got at Christmas time came from Grandma, not that man who gave them candy. I want them to know that the man who was dressed up did give them a candy cane and that they should say thank you.
-
In other words, I want my kids to know the truth about Santa Claus instead of trying to deceive them. I want my kids to know that they can trust what I tell them and that I am honest with them. I want them to be excited when they see reindeer at the zoo, but not expect them to land on our roof.
-
As they hear stories from make believe I want them to know the difference between fun and real. I want them to believe the real stories from the Bible. I want them to know that Jonah really was swallowed by a whale, but that Paul Bunyan is just for fun. I want them to know that Samson did have super human strength, but Super Man is just comic book fiction. I want them to know that the Apostle Paul really did survive a shipwreck and was stranded on an Island for a time, but that Gilligan is just a funny made up character.
-
I do not just want my children to know that I will not lie to them, I want them to know the difference between truth and fiction. Then I want them to understand the important truth- that God sent His only begotten son into the world so that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. I want them to know that Jesus came into this world to die for our sins. That really is the true meaning of Christmas.

No comments: