Friday, January 10, 2014

God's Will and a New Year

I have a Miller family history book on my bookshelf. It was written by my dad’s cousin. On page 51 is a picture of my great-great grandfather’s house in Lennox, SD. That is where he lived just before he died. We drove by that house on the evening of New Year’s Day and it is still there even though my great-great grandfather died about 105 years ago.
-
Much has changed in the past 100 years so I was not sure if the house would even still be there, but sure enough there it was. Though that house remains, my great-great grandfather, my great grandfather, my grandpa, and my dad have all passed away.
-
About 100 years ago, my great grandfather moved from Worthing where my grandpa was born to a farm north of Lake Wilson, MN. Most of my family still live in that area. As I grew up in Southwest Minnesota, I had no idea that I would one day end up moving back to the area of my forefathers. In fact, I did not even remember that they were from this area until after we were already planning to move here.
-
Though I had now idea where my life would lead, God knew all along. I think of Isaiah 46:9-10, “Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, 'My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,'” (NKJV).
-
As I remember the past, I am reminded that God already has the future all planned out. My moving to Worthing may have surprised me, but it did not surprise God. It is reassuring to know that I serve an all knowing, all powerful God.
-
Notice as well that verse 10 of Isaiah 46 says that God’s counsel (His purpose)- shall stand. It also says that He will do all He pleases. I take comfort in praying to an all powerful God who knows the beginning from the end. I also take comfort in knowing that He will do as He pleases.
-
Some may wonder why I find comfort in praying to a God who does whatever He pleases instead of praying to a god that I can get to do whatever I want him to do. If I were powerful enough to get God to give me whatever I wanted, then my God would not be all powerful and if I could get what I wanted, so could others. What if I wanted rain and someone else wanted sunshine?
-
The God I pray to is all knowing and does as He pleases, so He knows what is best. Further I take comfort in knowing that He is good and that He loves us so much that He sent His son to die for our sins. Thus I can face the new year ahead- and all the years He allows me to have- with complete trust in Him and His will no matter what trials or blessings may come my way.

No comments: