Friday, August 21, 2015

How Peculiar is Autism?

My friend Brian has autism. We are about the same age and I got to know him in my early teens when I bailed straw for his dad. Before meeting Brian, I did not really understand what autism was.
-
A few years later the movie “Rainman” was released. Though there were similarities between Dustin Hoffman’s character and my friend Brian, there were also differences. Each autistic person is an individual and they do not all hate K-Mart.
-
As we stacked bales I discovered something that is quite common among those with autism. Many, though not all, of those with autism like to follow a standard routine. For example, as we stacked straw, every other bale was mine and the other bales were Brian’s. I decided to help him out and take two bales in a row. I soon realized that if I did that, I had to take 3, because the next one was mine, not his. I also had to learn to stack the straw better. I would sometimes switch which side I started the stack on, but Brian’s dad had taught him to start on a particular side, so that is how we did it.
-
My friendship with Brian prepared me to relate to 2 of my nephews. My sister’s sons Josh and Matthew were also diagnosed with autism. Though there are similarities between these three people and even with Rainman, each of them is distinct and may not have the same characteristics as others.
-
My nephew Matthew cannot count cards like Rainman, but he has memorized many roads and railroads, by observing Google Earth. His brother Josh passed away this year in a car accident at the age of 18, but before he died he was elected a student ambassador for an online home school group. Rainman did not have the best social skills, and often this is characteristic of autism, yet Josh had such good online social skills that he became a mentor to other non autistic students.
-
Recently our youngest son was also diagnosed with autism. He is almost 4 and is not yet talking. Once he gets to know someone, he is quite social and he does not have to stick to a routine, yet he has other autistic characteristics.
-
Some people would describe autistic individuals as somewhat peculiar. 1 Peter 2:9 describes God‘s people, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.” Hundreds of years ago, peculiar meant something different than it does today. It actually meant a possession of great value. Instead of “peculiar,” the NASB says, “A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION.” The NKJV says, “His own special people.”
-
My son has autism and is not yet able to talk. If peculiar means that he is of great value, then I would agree. In fact, people with autism have been of great value to the world. It is believed that Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton may have had autism.
-
We are all unique, whether we have autism or not. We are of value to God. In fact He loved the world and the people in it so much that He sent His son. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

No comments: