Saturday, September 25, 2010

Are You in Touch WIth God?

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to keep in contact with friends? People move away and we get caught up in the business of life and soon we remember that we haven’t talked to that good friend in a long time.
-
I think of my friend Mike. We went to school together from kindergarten until we graduated. He got married shortly after high school and I was able to be in his wedding, but after he went into the Air Force, we didn’t see each other very often. Now we only talk on the phone every couple of years. Though I still consider Mike a friend, in reality he really doesn’t have much of a part in my life anymore.
-
Both of my brothers live 2-3 hours away, but we still make it a point to get together. Travis just called me the other night. They were writing their will and wanted to know if we would take their kids if anything ever happened to them. We are definitely a part of each other’s lives. My other brother Dusty calls me regularly and we can talk for hours, even if we have just seen each other recently.
-
My brothers and I are so close because of our shared values and our shared faith in God. Neither of them are pastors, but God is a central part of both of their lives. They have each trusted Jesus Christ as their Savior and are committed to training their families according to His Word. Travis is not quite as outgoing as Dustin, but he is not afraid to talk to and about his God.
-
So how many of us are like that? Even for those who have trusted Christ as Savior, has your relationship with Him become like my relationship with my high school classmate? Have you become so distant from God that it is almost like you don’t even know Him anymore? I believe much of the downfall of our society is because people (even those who call themselves Christians) do not really know God. God declares in Jeremiah 9:24, “But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.”
-
If you really get to know God, you will find that Jeremiah 9:24 is true. He is a God of justice and righteousness and He is also loving and kind. But when people don’t even know Him and don’t understand who He really is, no wonder there are so many problems in our world. “And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;” (Romans 1:28).
-
I think of the most memorable moments of my life. In many of them my brothers were there. In all of them, my God was there, but did I really acknowledge that at the time? Was I walking close with Him, keeping in touch with Him, not just on a daily but on a moment by moment basis? Am I doing that now?
-
If you were to describe your most memorable event, what role would God have in that description? Would you even mention Him? As we consider the Psalms of David, we realize that he is describing things that happened in his life,. What makes those descriptions so important, is not the details of the events. Rather, it is God’s role in those events and David’s connection to his God throughout them that stand out. If someone were to read your diary, would they find God in it? As you go throughout your life, is God a part of it, or is He a distant acquaintance far far away?

No comments: